TV News LIES

Sunday, Feb 22nd

Last update09:11:22 AM GMT

You are here All News At a Glance Human Rights Glance

Trump to end temporary protected status for Somali immigrants in Minnesota

Trump to remove Somali protectionDonald Trump said on Friday night that he’s “immediately” terminating temporary legal protections for Somali migrants living in Minnesota, further targeting a program seeking to limit deportations that his administration has already repeatedly sought to weaken.

Minnesota has the nation’s largest Somali community. Many fled the long civil war in the east African country and were drawn to the state’s welcoming social programs.

But how many migrants would be affected by Trump’s announcement that he wants to end temporary protective status could be very small. A report produced for Congress in August put the number of Somalis covered by the program at just 705 nationwide.

Congress created the program granting temporary protective status (TPS) in 1990. It was meant to prevent deportations of people to countries suffering from natural disasters, civil strife or other dangerous conditions.

The designation can be granted by the homeland security secretary and is granted in 18-month increments.

The president announced his decision on his social media site, suggesting that Minnesota was “a hub of fraudulent money laundering activity”.

More...

Mahmoud Khalil sues Trump officials over ‘collusion’ with anti-Palestinian groups

Mahmoud KhialilMahmoud Khalil, the Palestinian activist who participated in protests at Columbia University and was detained by Ice earlier this year, has filed a lawsuit demanding the Trump administration release its communications with anti-Palestinian groups he says contributed to his March arrest and efforts to detain him.

The groups, a number of which have boasted about their involvement in sharing dossiers on Palestine activists with the administration, have claimed credit for Khalil’s arrest, according to the Center for Constitutional Rights, which is part of the legal team representing Khalil, and they say there is evidence that indicates the Trump administration “acted on information and misinformation – provided by these groups in cracking down” on Khalil and other pro-Palestine activists.

“For months, shady organizations and individuals carried out a smear and harassment campaign designed to intimidate and silence me,” said Khalil in a statement to the Center for Constitutional Rights.

“The public deserves full accountability for every bad actor who helped make that possible, including those at Columbia who fabricated and amplified these smears and opened the door for state retaliation against Palestinian speech.”

More...

‘Mobs’ target Palestinians in occupied West Bank, as floods roil Gaza

Mobs target Palestinians in W BankOHCHR condemned this week’s attacks as abhorrent and said they reflected a wider pattern of increased violence against Palestinians.

Several people were reportedly injured in the attacks, which included a raid on a dairy factory, while delivery trucks and homes were set ablaze. 

The surge in violence comes as Israeli authorities have also ramped up home demolitions in addition to property seizures and the forcible displacement and transfer of thousands of Palestinians by Israeli settlers and the military, OHCHR continued, in a briefing for journalists at the UN in Geneva.

Officials reiterated that Israel’s assertion of sovereignty over the occupied West Bank and its annexation of parts of it, are in breach of international law which has been confirmed by the International Court of Justice (ICJ).

Meanwhile in Gaza, hundreds of tents and makeshift shelters were flooded due to heavy rain on Friday.

“We fear that thousands of displaced families will be left fully exposed to these harsh weather conditions” amid wider health and protection concerns, said the UN Spokesperson Stéphane Dujarric at a later briefing in New York. 

UN partners are working to provide shelter support via rapid response teams.

More...

World News in Brief: Settler attacks in the West Bank

Olive harvestThe UN humanitarian relief chief, Tom Fletcher, has sounded the alarm over rising violence in the occupied West Bank, where attacks by Israeli settlers on Palestinians and their property continue to escalate.

“Many of these attacks are linked to Palestinians’ attempts to harvest their olive crops,” he said in a statement on Tuesday.

“Palestinians have been killed and injured. Their homes and property damaged. Their livestock attacked.”

Mr. Fletcher said that more trees have been damaged, and more communities affected this year than in the previous six years combined.

“The failure to prevent or punish such attacks is inconsistent with international law,” he warned. “Palestinians must be protected. Impunity cannot prevail. Perpetrators must be held accountable.”

His remarks follow warnings from the UN Spokesperson’s Office last week that violence by Israeli settlers has surged across the West Bank, often under the watch of Israeli security forces.

More...

Israel plans to approve nearly 2,000 new illegal settlement units in occupied West Bank

2.000 new illegal settlements approved on West BankFar-right Israeli Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich has said that the Higher Planning Council will approve the construction of 1,973 new settlement units in the occupied West Bank during its next session.

He did not specify when the council will meet, Israeli Channel 12 reported.

The announcement came a day after Israel approved the building of 1,300 settler homes in the Gush Etzion settlement bloc south of occupied East Jerusalem.

Far-right Israeli Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich has said that the Higher Planning Council will approve the construction of 1,973 new settlement units in the occupied West Bank during its next session.

Smotrich said Israeli authorities have approved nearly 30,000 new settlement units in the occupied West Bank this year, describing it as an "unprecedented achievement" for his government.

The Palestinian group Hamas denounced the Israeli move as a "dangerous escalation in the policy of Judaisation and settlement expansion targeting Palestinian land deep inside the West Bank."

"These settlement plans constitute a blatant violation of international law and United Nations resolutions that criminalise settlement construction," it said in a statement.

More...

Texas judges can now refuse to perform same-sex marriages

Texas judges can refuse same sax marriages
Texas judges who decline to perform a wedding based on “sincerely held” religious views, such as their disapproval of LGBTQ+ unions, aren’t violating state rules on judicial impartiality, the state’s all-Republican Supreme Court has determined.

The Texas Supreme Court added the one-sentence comment to the Texas Code of Judicial Conduct on Oct. 24, potentially creating hurdles for LGBTQ+ people seeking to marry, especially in rural areas.

Further, the comment could play a role in a federal lawsuit vying to overturn Obergefell v. Hodges, the U.S. Supreme Court decision that legalized gay marriage in 2015, according to a report by Dallas NPR station KERA.

The high court’s alteration to the rules appears to come out of a legal dispute that arose when the State Commission on Judicial Conduct sanctioned a Waco judge who refused to marry LGBTQ+ couples while continuing to officiate ceremonies for straight ones, KERA reports.

A county judge in North Texas subsequently sued to challenge the sanction, setting up the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals to ask the Texas Supreme Court whether it could create an exemption in the Code of Judicial Conduct.

Jason Mazzone, a University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign law professor who’s analyzed the North Texas case, told KERA the high court’s action may resolve the individual judge’s claim. However, he said LGBTQ+ couples turned away by judges still could sue to challenge their action.

Spine-chilling footage showing masked Israeli settlers beating Palestinian settlers senseless

ASettlerss destroy olive treesBrooklyn-based writer and reporter Jasper Nathaniel was going through the Turmus Ayya olive fields in the West Bank when he captured the spine-chilling footage showing masked Israeli settlers beating Palestinian settlers senseless, armed with crude melee weapons.

In the video, Nathaniel is heard screaming at the Israeli settlers to stop attacking the Palestinian farmers, but his calls fall on deaf ears as a masked Israeli settler clubs an elderly woman and other farmers.

A  brutal attack by Israeli settlers on Palestinian olive farmers was captured on video by an American journalist, with the video going viral on social media.

In the video, Nathaniel is heard screaming at the Israeli settlers to stop attacking the Palestinian farmers, but his calls fall on deaf ears as a masked Israeli settler clubs an elderly woman and other farmers.

The American is also seen offering injured Palestinian farmers a ride on the vehicle he was using, before the video cuts off.

Prior to uploading the now-viral clip, Nathaniel posted, "Brutal settler attack in Turmus’ayya olive fields. Many injuries, including a woman knocked unconscious with a club and beaten repeatedly."

More...

Page 15 of 201

 
America's # 1 Enemy
Tee Shirt
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
TVNL Tee Shirt
 
TVNL TOTE BAG
Conserve our Planet
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
 
Get your 9/11 & Media
Deception Dollars
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
 
The Loaded Deck
The First & the Best!
The Media & Bush Admin Exposed!