A senior UN official condemned attacks by Jewish "settler extremists" on Palestinians' olive trees in the occupied West Bank and called on Israel to "combat violence and terror by Israelis."
Robert Serry, UN special coordinator for the Middle East peace process, also said he was alarmed that work had started on hundreds of new homes for settlers in the occupied territory since the end of Israel's settlement freeze last month.
Serry was speaking to journalists on Tuesday while olive-picking with Palestinian Prime Minister Salam Fayyad in the village of Tormos Ayya north of Ramallah. He said settlers
had destroyed hundreds of trees in the village in recent weeks.
Palestinians began harvesting olives across the West Bank this month. "I am appalled at acts of destruction of olive trees and farmlands, desecration of mosques and violence against civilians," Serry said.
"Israel states its condemnation of attacks, which I welcome, but its record in imposing the rule of law on settlers is lamentable," he said.



Federal judges on Friday declined to review an appeal filed by Mahmoud Khalil, the Columbia graduate...
The UK’s largest public sector pension pool quietly sold its holdings of Israeli government bonds last...
Rozan Kheira woke to the sound of explosions, screaming and panic. At 10pm, an Israeli air...
A federal judge on Friday dismissed the criminal case against Kilmar Abrego Garcia, siding with the...





























