TV News LIES

Sunday, Apr 06th

Last update07:36:39 AM GMT

You are here News Human Rights Guantánamo Bay hunger strike worsens

Guantánamo Bay hunger strike worsens

E-mail Print PDF

Gitmo hunger strikeA long-running hunger strike by detainees at Guantánamo has worsened since Barack Obama promised action to close the controversial prison camp in a landmark speech last Thursday.

On the eve of Obama's address, there were 103 prisoners on hunger strike, with 31 being force-fed by military authorities and one in hospital. Since then, not a single prisoner has stopped their strike, and now 36 of the detainees are being force-fed to keep them alive, with five of them being hospitalised.

In telephones calls and letters to their legal representatives, detainees have also described a regime of intimidating body searches and other restrictions they say are designed to prevent them from talking to their lawyers and also to break their resolve.

However, it seems that the hunger strike is showing no signs of ending, despite several promises made by Obama to shutter the camp and release many of those who have been held there without charge for more than a decade. "The numbers of strikers are not moving downwards. Nothing has changed," said Carlos Warner, a lawyer for several detainees.

More...


Most Recent Related Stories...


‘I was a British tourist trying to leave the US. Then I was detained, shackled and sent to an immigration detention centre’

British tourist arrested by ICEJ ust before the graphic artist Rebecca Burke left Seattle to travel to Vancouver, Canada, on...

Rumeysa Ozturk's federal case transferred to Vermont

Tuft case moved to Vt. A federal judge in Boston ordered federal immigration authorities to transfer Tufts international student Rumeysa Ozturk's...

National Endowment for the Humanities staff put on immediate leave

NEH ended Staff at the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) were told by email late Thursday night...

Trump Administration Admits ‘Error’ For Man’s Deportation To El Salvador Prison

Trump error leaves man ib El SalvadorThe Trump administration has admitted that it mistakenly sent a Salvadoran immigrant to a supermax El...
 
America's # 1 Enemy
Tee Shirt
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
TVNL Tee Shirt
 
TVNL TOTE BAG
Conserve our Planet
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
 
Get your 9/11 & Media
Deception Dollars
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
 
The Loaded Deck
The First & the Best!
The Media & Bush Admin Exposed!