TV News LIES

Sunday, Apr 06th

Last update07:36:39 AM GMT

You are here News Human Rights Former Guantánamo chief prosecutor petitions Obama to close prison camp

Former Guantánamo chief prosecutor petitions Obama to close prison camp

E-mail Print PDF

Guantanamo prison A former chief prosecutor for the controversial American prison camp at Guantánamo Bay has called for the prison to be closed, launching an online petition that has gathered some 60,000 signatures in less than 24 hours.

Col Morris Davis served for two years as the chief prosecutor for terrorism trials at Guantánamo. He decided to campaign for the closure of the camp in the wake of a hunger strike that now involves more than 100 prisoners, including some 21 who are being force fed to keep them from starving to death.

Davis's petition comes after President Barack Obama on Tuesday vowed to make good on a broken 2008 campaign promise to shutter the prison camp, which still houses some 166 prisoners despite more than half having been cleared for release.

Davis told The Guardian that he had been appalled at the concept of the prisoners going on hunger strike, in the light of the fact that so many of them have been kept in jail without trial for more than a decade. "As illogical as suicide seems, sitting there for the rest of their lives probably makes it look like a rational choice," he said.

More...


Most Recent Related Stories...


‘I was a British tourist trying to leave the US. Then I was detained, shackled and sent to an immigration detention centre’

British tourist arrested by ICEJ ust before the graphic artist Rebecca Burke left Seattle to travel to Vancouver, Canada, on...

Rumeysa Ozturk's federal case transferred to Vermont

Tuft case moved to Vt. A federal judge in Boston ordered federal immigration authorities to transfer Tufts international student Rumeysa Ozturk's...

National Endowment for the Humanities staff put on immediate leave

NEH ended Staff at the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) were told by email late Thursday night...

Trump Administration Admits ‘Error’ For Man’s Deportation To El Salvador Prison

Trump error leaves man ib El SalvadorThe Trump administration has admitted that it mistakenly sent a Salvadoran immigrant to a supermax El...
 
America's # 1 Enemy
Tee Shirt
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
TVNL Tee Shirt
 
TVNL TOTE BAG
Conserve our Planet
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
 
Get your 9/11 & Media
Deception Dollars
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
 
The Loaded Deck
The First & the Best!
The Media & Bush Admin Exposed!