TV News LIES

Monday, Feb 16th

Last update03:52:22 AM GMT

You are here News Human Rights WEST BANK: Palestinians ask for international protection citing rise in attacks by Israeli settlers

WEST BANK: Palestinians ask for international protection citing rise in attacks by Israeli settlers

E-mail Print PDF

WEST BANK: Palestinians ask for international protection citing rise in attacks by Israeli settlersThe Palestinian Authority asked for international protection Monday citing a sharp rise in Israeli settler violence against Palestinian civilians in the West Bank.

The call came after three Israelis from the Havat Maon settlement allegedly stabbed and seriously injured 33-year-old Mahmud Ibrahim Awad of Khirbat Tuba, a tiny village south of the West Bank city of Hebron, as he was walking home Monday morning. Awad was stabbed in the head, chest and arm.

In another incident, Israeli settlers allegedly opened fire at Palestinians during a funeral in the village of Beit Ommar, north of Hebron, injuring two people. One of them, a 59-year-old, was reported in critical condition. The second suffered injuries in the leg.

The Israeli army, which maintains a presence nearby because the village is on a road often used by settlers, intervened, firing tear gas and rubber bullets at the Palestinians, who threw rocks at the settlers after the shooting.

Ghassan Khatib, director of the Palestinian Authority media center, issued a statement holding the Israeli government responsible for what he called "serious and systematic escalation" in settler violence against Palestinians in the West Bank, which Israel seized in the 1967 Middle East War.

Khatib called for "urgent international protection to prevent further crimes against the civilians."

Palestinians say attacks by Israeli settlers in the West Bank have escalated since the bloody slaying of an Israeli family in the West Bank settlement of Itamar last week.

No one has been arrested yet in connection with the Itamar killings, but Israeli officials and news media blamed Palestinian militants, resulting, Palestinians say, in revenge attacks by settlers. The Israeli government has placed a gag order on the investigation, after rumors that Thai and Filipino guest workers had been rounded up for questioning in the attack.

More...


Most Recent Related Stories...


‘I could not stay silent’: Palestinian prisoner tells of sexual abuse in Israeli jail

Sami Al SaemiSami al-Saei said he heard the Israeli prison guards who raped him laughing through the assault,...

Blindfolded, beaten, humiliated: How Israeli forces abused Palestinians returning to Gaza

Tortured, raped, by IsraelisHuda Abu Abed feared only long waits and Israeli checks when she was told she could...

Israeli prisons 'begin preparations to apply death penalty' for Palestinians

Israel prepares for executionsThe Israeli Prison Service has begun preparations to introduce the death penalty for Palestinian prisoners, Israeli...

At least 12 Palestinians killed and several hurt in Israeli airstrikes on Gaza

12 Palestinians killed in GazaAt least 12 Palestinians were killed and several more injured across the Gaza Strip on Sunday...
 
America's # 1 Enemy
Tee Shirt
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
TVNL Tee Shirt
 
TVNL TOTE BAG
Conserve our Planet
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
 
Get your 9/11 & Media
Deception Dollars
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
 
The Loaded Deck
The First & the Best!
The Media & Bush Admin Exposed!