TV News LIES

Thursday, Aug 20th

Last update08:18:01 AM GMT

You are here News Human Rights Yemeni returns home after Guantanamo Bay release

Yemeni returns home after Guantanamo Bay release

E-mail Print PDF

Yemeni returns home after Guantanamo Bay releaseA Yemeni man held at Guantanamo Bay for eight years has been sent home, the Pentagon has said. It comes after a US court ordered the release of Mohammed Odaini, 26, saying he had no connection to al-Qaeda and had been wrongly detained.

However, the Pentagon said it was maintaining an overall ban on transferring Yemenis, because of the security situation in the country. There are 180 remaining detainees at Guantanamo Bay.

Almost 600 have left since 2002. The administration has yet to give a timetable for closing the controversial facility. In a ruling delivered on 26 May, US District Judge Henry Kennedy aid US government lawyers had failed to persuade him that Mr Odaini had been lawfully detained.

"The evidence before the court shows that holding Odaini in custody at such great cost to him has done nothing to make the United States more secure. There is no evidence that Odaini has any connection to al-Qaeda."

He also said: "Respondents have kept a young man from Yemen in detention in Cuba from age 18 to age 26. "They have prevented him from seeing his family and denied him the opportunity to complete his studies and embark on a career."

Mr Odaini is the first Yemeni sent home since US President Barack Obama stopped repatriations, Reuters news agency reports.

More...


Most Recent Related Stories...


As the world fixates on Hamas, who will disarm the Israeli settlers storming West Bank villages?

Settlers continue to kill PalestiniansIn Qusra, in the occupied West Bank, Palestinian families have spent August imprisoned inside their own...

Gaza genocide: How Israel made horror a ritual of daily life

Gaza genocideLife under genocide has its familiar daily rituals. A discerning eye detects latent horrors in the...

Israel allows Jewish ritual at Al-Aqsa Mosque in unprecedented violation of status quo

Jewish ritual allowed at al Aqsa MosqueIsraeli authorities have formally allowed Jewish prayer for the first time inside Al-Aqsa Mosque in occupied...

Ein al-Auja: How settler attacks and water diversion erased a Palestinian community

How aettlers destroy Palestinian villagesHaitham Rashaidh was among the last to leave his home near Ein al-Auja, a natural spring...
 
America's # 1 Enemy
Tee Shirt
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
TVNL Tee Shirt
 
TVNL TOTE BAG
Conserve our Planet
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
 
Get your 9/11 & Media
Deception Dollars
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
 
The Loaded Deck
The First & the Best!
The Media & Bush Admin Exposed!