TV News LIES

Tuesday, Aug 18th

Last update06:36:06 AM GMT

You are here News Domestic (USA) Efforts to Prosecute Blackwater Collapse

Efforts to Prosecute Blackwater Collapse

E-mail Print PDF

BlackwaterNearly four years after the federal government began a string of investigations and criminal prosecutions against Blackwater Worldwide personnel accused of murder and other violent crimes in Iraq and Afghanistan, the cases are beginning to fall apart, burdened by a legal obstacle of the government’s own making.

In the most recent and closely watched case, the Justice Department on Monday said that it would not seek murder charges against Andrew J. Moonen, a Blackwater armorer accused of killing a guard assigned to the Iraqi vice president on Dec. 24, 2006.

Justice officials said that they were abandoning the case after an investigation that began in early 2007, and included trips to Baghdad by federal prosecutors and F.B.I. agents to interview Iraqi witnesses.

The government’s decision to drop the Moonen case follows a series of failures by prosecutors around the country aimed at former personnel of Blackwater, which is now known as Xe Services. In September, a Virginia jury was unable to reach a verdict in the murder trial of two former Blackwater guards accused of killing two Afghan civilians.

Late last year, charges were dismissed against five former Blackwater guards who had been indicted on manslaughter and related weapons charges in a September 2007 shooting incident in Nisour Square in Baghdad, in which 17 Iraqi civilians were killed.

More...


Most Recent Related Stories...


Luigi Mangione’s state murder trial postponed indefinitely amid double jeopardy fight

Luigi ManguineLuigi Mangione’s state murder trial in the killing of UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson, which was slated...

Five people shot, one in critical condition, at Virginia college

Shooting at U of VireginiaFive people were shot at Virginia State University, with one in critical condition, after an early...

‘She is a hero’: 13-year-old survivor of Michigan shooting rampage called 911

Missaukee county court house in MuchiganA 13-year-old girl in Michigan survived being shot four times in a shooting spree that left...

At least six people dead and one wounded in mass shooting in rural Michigan

6 dead in Michigan mass shootingA mass shooting on Friday has left six people dead, including the suspected gunman, in Missaukee...
 
America's # 1 Enemy
Tee Shirt
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
TVNL Tee Shirt
 
TVNL TOTE BAG
Conserve our Planet
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
 
Get your 9/11 & Media
Deception Dollars
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
 
The Loaded Deck
The First & the Best!
The Media & Bush Admin Exposed!